Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Spiritual Journey

Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man!
And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving,
and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!
Psalm 107:21-22

I think the theme of My Spiritual Journey may remain the same for the next few weeks. 2 weeks ago I wrote about learning to survive with joy. It seems like this is a continual lesson the Lord wants to ingrain in my very existence. I have a feeling that the remaining pregnancy and the first few weeks after childbirth will be my refining fire to help me truly learn this lesson!

Psalm 107:22 states that the people should "offer SACRIFICES of thanksgiving". Anything with the word sacrifice in it never sounds pleasant. Its easy for me to be thankful and joyful when life is easy, when I'm well rested, when the kids are on a good cycle of behavior, and when Brent and I have all the time in the world to just hang out. Its definitely more of a SACRIFICE for me to CHOOSE thankfulness and joyfulness when I'm exhausted, life is busy, the kids both hit a downward cycle of behavior at the same time (more than likely due to my exhaustion!), and Brent and I are having to sacrifice some time together in order for both of us to walk in obedience to the Lord and finish the project Brent is working on.

So how to choose to sacrifice my right to be tired and cranky and choose to be joyful and thankful? I failed drastically this morning. I chose tears and frustration. Unfortunately, those didn't make life any better...imagine that =) So after a long talk with Jesus, some time of confession, and a little reflection, I think the Lord is opening my eyes to the little tiny choices I make every moment of every day.

How many times a day do I tell my children to make a good choice??? Here's to me following my own advice and choosing to offer my sacrifice of thanksgiving to my Father who is more than worthy of all I can give Him and is more than able to meet every need I have. Praise and glory be to Him!

Goals from last week:

  • Still memorizing Matthew 5
  • Started reading "Created to be His Help Meet". I hear I'll either love it or hate it. About 50% of the women I've talked to have absolutely hated it and told me to throw it away and 50% of the women have told me its a must read. Should be interesting =)
  • Adding the additional middle of the day quiet time has become a must have during these last weeks of pregnancy!
  • And complete side note, but last week I talked about learning to trust God with this birth...we have made the decision to go for the VBAC and God has given me absolute peace about it. Trusting Him is way better than worrying =)

Goals for this week:

  • Memorize Matthew 5:1-15
  • Continue to read "Created to Be His Help Meet"
  • Walk in the grace of God and choose to be joyful and thankful this week
  • Meditation and scripture memory are continuing to be keys to keeping my mind on my Savior so that I won't just be going through the motions of attempting to be joyful and thankful, but that the very essence of who I am can reflect the Psalmist when he states in Psalm 100

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!/ Serve the Lord with gladness!/Come into his presence with singing!/ Know that the Lord, he is God!/It is he who made us, and we are his;/we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture./ Enter his gates with thanksgiving,/and his courts with praise!/Give thanks to him; bless his name!/ For the Lord is good;/his steadfast love endures forever,/and his faithfulness to all generations.



1 comment:

The Carters said...

I read "Created to Be His Help Meet" right when we first got married! I guess I am one of the 50% that really liked it! I mean there are a several things that she talks about that are purely her opinion, but most things she takes completely from scripture! Hope you enjoy it!