Friday, February 06, 2009

Family Fun Day

No Family Fun Day this Friday. Brent is working on this really neat project (it will be a secret though until the end of the month! I can't wait to share with you what it is!!). So yesterday I told him to take the day and work on his project to get some of the loose ends wrapped up. He's been working so hard on it that I wanted to give him a day to go work and not have to think about being a dad or a husband. But what I discovered today was how much I really enjoy Family Fun Day! Its become our Sabbath day and I just couldn't pull it off without Brent. So here is a recap of my day:7:00am-8:30am: 2 tantrums (they didn't like the color of bowl I gave them...go figure), fixed the girls hair twice (after the first time I did their hair, I walked into my bedroom, came out 5 min. later and they were wrestling and giggling all over the floor. Their hair was out of the ponytail and sticking straight up), fed them breakfast, got them dressed, Elliana pottied on herself while trying to get onto the potty by herself about 5 min. after I got her dressed (have I mentioned she's independent!), changed Elliana again, searched for 1o min. for some shoes to put on them, finally found them under the couch cushion (why didn't I look there first?), got shoes on them, strapped them into the car seats, then came back into the house to find drinks and snacks for the girls. I had an OB appointment.

8:45am: Drop Avery off at a friend's to play. Elliana then sobbed (not a tantrum sob, but a sad, heart wrenching sob) because Avery wasn't sitting next to her in the car. For the next 30 min. I hear her sniffle and say "need avey. play with avey at Connors house" over and over and over and over and over again.
9:30am: Make it to the doctor to discover my doctor has been called out to surgery...again. I've seen her once the entire pregnancy. I keep wondering when I'll get a refund on the doctor's bills I've paid since I've never actually seen a doctor...does life work that way??? =)

10:45am Pick Avery up from her friend's house and drive to Home Depot to pick up paint samples so we can paint the new baby's room this weekend. Forget to say "no touch" to Elliana when I push the cart up to the paint brushes.
11:00am Spend 5 minutes picking up a display of paint brushes.

12:00pm: Make it home, fix some peanut butter sandwiches and hotdogs, and hold my head up with my hands while I watch them eat...very, very, very slowly. I think they knew nap time was approaching.
12:30pm-2:30: Put both girls down. Make 4 trips into Avery because she fell out of bed, turned the radio on on accident, needed to go potty, and knocked over a lamp. Make 5 trips into Elliana because she dropped her blanket, bit her finger and it was bleeding, hit her head on the wall, and then started coughing hard enough I thought she was going to puke.

2:30-3:00pm: Silence...finally.

3:00pm "I'm awake! I'm awake!!!" (that's Avery)
3:05pm "I'm awake! I'm awake!!!" (that's Elliana) Try to gear myself up for a long afternoon with sleepy girls

3:05-5:00pm: Brent makes it home for a few hours. YEAH!! We get the baby's room cleaned out so we can paint in the morning and make a quick trip to Lowe's to buy paint. Brent is leading worship for Celebrate Recovery tonight so he left to go to church to start rehearsals, etc. I look at the girls, can't imagine going home and having the energy to chase them and cook dinner, and decide its going to be a McDonalds night.
5:00pm-5:45 Praise the Lord for McDonalds and their playlands!

5:45pm Leave McDonalds. Notice its still too early to try to put the girls in bed for the evening, so stop at Wal Mart to buy some groceries. Still couldn't face going home!
6:30pm Get home, put PJs on them, pick up toys, read a story

7:05pm: They are out. I think I'm on my way to bed too.

Its funny. I could do the exact same thing Monday through Thursday, but when Friday hits, the routine of chasing the kids by myself wears me out! I think today made me more intent on keeping Friday sacred as our family day than anything else could! Avery's last words before bed were "so when will daddy be home and not go to work again? I want him to be with us all day that day". I wasn't the only one who missed him today!


Lindsey (Minter) Burris said...

Your day seems to go alot like mine! lol I wonder why? JK How in the world do you find the time or energy to blog everyday? I am so worn out by the kids bedtime that I usually just crash! When are you due and do you know what yall are having this time? I was due yesterday and Im still big and pregnant! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

The Minter's said...

Oh yuck! I'll pray that baby comes out today! I'm due at the end of March. When I'm closer to the end, you'll start to notice no more blog posts =) the energy is quickly depleting. Can't wait to see your new little one too

Minters - The Other Side of the Story said...

That hurts me just to read it. :) Its amazing what some Daddy-Time does for the mom and kid!

OK Gran said...

but it's all so-o-o-o-o-o worth it all ...... okay, don't clobber me ... but it really, really, REALLY is worth it ALL...hang in there!
love you,
OK Gran