Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Spiritual Journey

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God...Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after RIGHTEOUSNESS, for they shall be satisfied."

The Lord keeps "shaking" me! This past week, after a conversation with one of my sisters about things she's learning, the Lord began convicting me of some sin in my life. Some sin of unforgiveness, of hurts I haven't let go, of selfishness on my part as I approach certain relationships...all things I want to argue with God about. All things I want to feel justified in my feelings about. All things that I feel I have a right to feel. All things that I don't REALLY want to work on because I know it means I'll have to sacrifice myself in order to walk in obedience. The journey isn't always a peace of cake is it?!!!

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall see mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God"

So I shared with Brent what I knew God was calling me to do so he could hold me accountable and now the praying begins. The giving over of selfishness when I don't really want to make an effort because I know it won't be appreciated. The giving over of pride when I don't really want to listen because I know the other person may never change. The unselfishness of praying for God to work mightily, EVEN IF it means I will never see the outcome I desire or hear the words "please forgive me" from some lips. The praying begins and will continue.

"Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

My sister reminded me that God does not call us to only pursue things which fulfill us or make us feel good about ourselves. She reminded me that God calls us to work as unto Him at all times, even if it means we get hurt, even if it means we have to travel a hard road of self sacrifice, even if it means we lay down ourselves for the benefit of someone else EVEN THOUGH it may never benefit us. Things you know in your head, have been taught since you were a young child, but are extremely hard to put into practice when the hurt hits close to home.

Who knew mediating on Hebrews 12:26-29 and memorizing the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5) were going to "shake" me up so much?!! Isn't it good to worship a Father who is alive and continues to mold you into his image, even when it means "shaking" up your life a bit? =)

No comments: