Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Spiritual Journey...Prayer

It's Tuesday which means it's time for My Spiritual Journey update =)

I'm still working on the discipline of prayer. Last week I talked about the rhythms of life and attaching prayer to each rhythm. Its been a lot harder for me than I imagined! Controlling my mind and focusing seems to be my biggest struggle right now. So I'll continue to work on prayer until it's a definite habit throughout my day.

In Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster talks about deepening your prayer life. He spends a lot of time discussing practicing prayer so that you become better at it. The whole concept just fascinates me. If I evaluate my last 5 years of life, I definitely pray more today than I did 5 years ago, but don't know if I could say I pray deeper or better. The whole idea of becoming better at praying is intriguing.God is drawing me into a journey to learn about prayer, so I've started reading this book entitled, Prayer by Ole Hallesby. Honestly, I've had it on my book shelf since college but never felt motivated to actually read it. My goal is to finish it by next week. There's 2 more books about prayer that I want to read next. Its safe to say that God is giving me a thirst for this journey about prayer and its exciting to see what He's going to teach me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kari, I have that same book sitting on my shelf from UNI days. . .still unread! Let me know how it is--maybe I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks for sharing your journey--I've been encouraged!