Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Spiritual Journey

In honor of working on simplicity, today I am simplifying my house. I know, I know. It may not seem like much of a spiritual journey, but the Lord is really teaching me how to simplify in order to serve Him wholeheartedly. During a conversation at Pine Cove, I was really convicted about not just simplifying my heart's attitude, but simplifying my home as well. So this week is about walking in obedience to that conviction!Today, my kitchen began the simplifying process. I had to beg help for this though. I am not an organizer! I do not see things in organized bins or boxes. I see things in organized piles and drawers (aka why I have 4 junk drawers in the kitchen, a continual pile of "important papers" on the microwave, and a continual pile that Brent needs to look at on the island...organized piles =) ) I also see items and think of a time in the future when I will probably need that item but know that we won't be able to afford to re-buy it, so I keep everything...just in case. So Ellie was gracious enough to come teach me how to simplify...all while our combined 6 kids played together =)Between watching the kids and cooking dinner for everyone, I took us 4 hours to organize and simplify the kitchen, but, 3 bags of trash and a huge pile of stuff to sell later, we finished!

I think next week we'll tackle the laundry room...or maybe the master bedroom...hmmm I think I'm really going to like simplifying my house =)

6 comments:

mommykoo said...

love the last couples pic. so it took 4 hours to simplify the kitchen eh? did it involve putting stuff in bins and boxes?

Jen McManus said...

What an organizing party and I was not invited!! I am so offended :)

Bryant Family said...

A great resource...
http://unclutterer.com/

Scatter Sunshine said...

Yay! Go Kari! For quick gratification, I recommend tackling the sock drawer. When I did that recently I was shocked at how many crazy holiday, worn out, too many socks I had! And you can even repurpose a few for rags, puppets, sunglasses protector, barbie dresses (cut neck and arm holes, voila). Just be careful not to relocate ALL of them instead of actually purging. ;) Hooray for simplicity and not shoving socks in an overstuffed drawer!

Kari said...

Jen...I think you have enough organizing of your own to do in the next 3 weeks!! Yea for selling your house and buying a new house...boo that the new house is all the way in Austin! =)

Kari said...

Angela...love the sock drawer idea. I see puppet shows in my future =)